Our Pure21 Challengers know the benefits of detoxing from unhealthy diets. But have you thought about the negative effects of unhealthy habits? To be successful in the Pure21 Challenge, you need to know you’re worthy of achieving your goals and changing into the person you want to be. Letting go of any negativity in your life will help you get there faster.
So take a moment to think about it:
- What habits are you holding onto that only hinder your well-being?
- What people or places do you interact with that only leave you feeling stressed, frustrated or drained?
- Are your daily thoughts propelling you toward your goal or slowing you down?
No matter how “toxic” your mind is, you can train your mental health just like you do for your physical health. It begins with an intention to change your life and a commitment to yourself and ends with three simple steps.
Let’s start with step #1: clear your external environment.
- Clear your clutter. Rid your home of all broken, unused or non-essential items. Aim to clear 30% of the items on display to remove unnecessary visual stimulation.
- Avoid any place or any situation where temptation abounds to avoid destructive habits.
- Stop spending time with negative people who discourage you from being ambitious and affect your anxiety and energy levels. You don’t need to keep unsupportive people around who only shoot your big ideas down, rather than cheering you on. Instead, create some distance between you and these people. Skip the constant complainers and naysayers and instead, fill your time with people who improve your state. Gracefully, but without regret.
Even more important is step #2: cleanse your internal environment.
- Release negative thought patterns by filling upon good thoughts. Feed your mind and soul with positive words, positive people and positive things.
- When negative thoughts do arise, don’t bury them in your heart where they develop into hatred and contempt. Share how you feel with someone you trust.
- Believe in yourself. Forget about outside forces, pay attention to your life and your situation.
Most crucial of all is step #3: stay in the clear.
- Start your day with gratitude affirmations and end everyday with reflection. Just 5 minutes can make all the difference.
- Surround yourself solely with positive peoplewho encourage you to be your best self and work to be their best, too.
- When negativity does seep in, which it will,take some time to go out in nature and take a technology break whenever possible. Whether for an entire weekend or just a few hours, you’ll improve your physical health, awareness and avoid exposure to negativity-inducing media.
Now that you’re free from the negative effects of unhealthy habits, it’s time to maintain your clarity. Make positivity a priority by allowing only “good” to come in and blocking out any “bad”. You are worth it and you can do this.